Monday, February 16, 2009

Perhaps She'll Die?

No, not really. But I'm posting this blog from my hospital room today. Yup. Hospital. So not fun. I came in yesterday with symptoms for kidney stones or just a really horrible, terrible, no good, rotten urinary tract infection. I was pretty much in pain from 9am till 11pm or so, getting progressively worse as the hours ticked by. By 11 pm when they finally started giving me iv antibiotics, saline, and morphine, I was in mucho intense pain. But as soon as the antibiotics started to kick in, I began feeling a bit better. Then the morphine kicked in and I started to get drowsy and the pain started to fade. Morphine is great for pain, but it feels icky, that's for sure.

Anyway, to look on the bright side, our midwife, Sivan was with us the whole time last night and she remarked that I will be a pro when it comes time to labor because the pain I was having was so much more intense than labor pains will be! Some consolation at least?

Our midwife was great, the obstetricians were great (baby is great), and the nurses were wonderful.

I'm feeling drastically less pain today. Very tired, but feeling okay otherwise. They keep putting in the iv antibiotics and they want me to get an ultrasound to check my kidneys and urinary tract, and just to check on baby, but since it was the weekend, and there is only one radiologist for the entire hospital, we are all on a very long list to get ultrasounds today.

Since I feel so much better today, I am assuming that either the antibiotics are killing whatever infection I have or I actually passed my kidney stones last night. At least I am feeling better.

I hope you all had a much better Valentine's and Family Day weekend than I did!

p.s. I would post a picture, but you don't want to see this face after such a night! I popped some blood vessels or capilliaries around my eyes. Not a pretty sight. I just need some rest and I'll be as good as new (I hope!).

p.p.s. It just so happened that a good friend (expecting twins) was in the same night I was, so we had a little visit this morning. Nice coincidence. Not being in the hospital, but getting to see a familiar face. As far as I know, she's going home today for more bed rest.

UPDATE: I was able to be discharged from the hospital Monday night around 7pm following an ultrasound and doctor's consult (who happened to be Diana [Poulin] Timms' brother). The prognosis? Hydronephrosis. Distention (dilation) of the kidney with urine, caused by backward pressure on the kidney when the flow of urine is obstructed. They assume that the urine was obstructed by either stones or that baby had been putting pressure at a certain point to cause a kink in the line. Well, whatever it was it was painful and I'm glad that it is over.
We got home last night and I went straight for the shower then straight to bed. Roughly 12 hours of sleep later and I'm feeling rested and much better.


  1. Man that sucks Kaly!!! I know that happens quite often during pregnancy. We often had pregnant women on the Urology unit with stones. Hang in there my sister. Everything will be alright.

  2. Oooh - so glad to hear that you're feeling better Kaly! Thank God you and baby are a-ok!

  3. I think I saw you at the recent stake RS thing. You are looking so adorable with that belly of yours.